The Toston Lighthouse (Faro del Tostón) is situated on the north-western coast of the island near to El Cotillo. It is situated on the promontory of Punta Tostón, which is also known as the Punta de la Ballena (Whale Point). From there you get a great view of Lanzarote.
It is still working but, like most lighthouses around the world, it is now automated.
Toston Lighthouse – History
The current lighthouse was built in the 1980s and it is the third to stand on the site. The first lighthouse was opened in 1897, and consisted of a 7m high tower on one corner of the single storey keeper’s house. This was decommissioned in the 1950s and replaced by a 15 metre high concrete tower which was used for another 30 years. The current lighthouse is a 30m concrete tower, which is white with red bands and has a focal height of 35m above the sea. Its light can be seen for 14 nautical miles, and consists of a flash of white light every eight seconds.
The original lighthouse keeper’s house is now a museum, containing an exhibition which shows the traditional fishing of the island. This has a small cafe too so it is nice to buy a coffee and look at the view.