Corralejo – What is it like?
Corralejo is the biggest resort in the north of Fuerteventura. It is located on the north-easy coast. Unlike Caleta de Fuste and Costa Calma, it actually has life apart from tourism, which includes fishing and the port. This is one of its attractions over the other resorts which are rather “false” by comparison.
Corralejo actually means in Spanish “The corral far away”. This is because many years ago it just contained a corral (enclosure) to keep goats in that was “far away” from the capital.
The video below features a walk around Corralejo. It shows the harbour area, the waterfront and the main street to give you an idea of what it is like if you are considering holidaying in Fuerteventura. It is the best of the larger resorts on Fuerteventura in my opinion, particularly if you like some nightlife.
Watch What is it like? in Youtube
What does Corralejo have?
There are many bars and restaurants along the Corralejo waterfront and almost all of them have wonderful sea views. They are ideal for sitting and watching the world go by over a coffee or something alcoholic. You can watch the ferries and boats coming and going. You also have great views of the islands of Lobos and Lanzarote in the distance.
The main street, or strip as the Americans would call it, also has many bars and restaurants and is where most of the nightlife is located. There are also many of shops selling clothes, perfume, jewellery and other goods. More shops seem to get added every month lately.
A few of the Corralejo beaches are featured in the video – those located closest to the main town. It doesn’t show the best beaches which are Flag Beach and the beautiful Dunes beaches which will feature in a future video.
Fuerteventura holidays are very popular, particularly in the winter when the weather is lovely here but awful in northern Europe. Mind you, when isn’t it?
Where to stay in Corralejo
- Hotel Riu Palace – right on the dunes beaches
- Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real – a beautiful 5 star hotel overlooking the sea
- Barceló Corralejo Bay – Adults only hotel
- Barceló Corralejo Sands – lovely hotel 3 minutes from a beach
- Suite Hotel Atlantis Fuerteventura Resort – all-inclusive resort with 8 swimming pools
- H10 Ocean Dreams Hotel Boutique – Adults only
- H10 Ocean Suites – Lovely complex in the centre of Corralejo
- Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura – Adults only hotel on a small beach in the centre of town
- Beachfront villas to rent – my selection of the best available
- Bahiazul Villas & Club – beautiful, if expensive, villa complex
- Villas with private pools – located throughout Corralejo
- Villas in Tamaragua – popular area 3km outside the town
- 1 bedroom apartments – all locations and prices