I am often asked through this website, and my Youtube channel, where, in my opinion, is the best place to stay in Fuerteventura. This is a hard question to answer as it is all a matter of personal choice. While some love a particular place, and stay there year after year, others may hate it.
What is the most popular resort in Fuerteventura?
There isn’t really one most popular resort in Fuerteventura, instead, what there are three resorts which are all very popular with particular groups of people.
- Corralejo is generally loved by a cross section but predominately British and Irish tourists.
- Caleta de Fuste is very popular with British tourists.
- Costa Calma/Jandia is generally most popular with German tourists.
Corralejo, Caleta de Fuste, Costa Calma / Jandia are all different so at least one of them should appeal to you. Also there is El Cotillo for those that like a quieter holiday.
To help you choose I would guide you as follows::
- are you a family with children? – then choose Caleta de Fuste, Corralejo or Costa Calma (You may also like to read my post – The best resort in Fuerteventura for families)
- is your preference for quiet places? – then choose El Cotillo or perhaps Morro Jable town
- do you prefer places with nightlife? – then choose Corralejo or Caleta de Fuste
- do you want beautiful natural beaches? – then don’t choose Caleta de Fuste
- are you a couple looking for adult only hotels? – Adults only hotels in Fuerteventura
- do you want to try surfing and other watersports? – then choose Corralejo, El Cotillo or Costa Calma
- are you a naturist? – then choose El Cotillo, Corralejo or Costa Calma but not Caleta de Fuste
- do you want to stay in a large all-inclusive hotel? – then choose Corralejo, Caleta de Fuste or Costa Calma
- do you want to rent a self catering apartment? – these are available almost everywhere but more common in Corralejo, El Cotillo and Caleta de Fuste
Corralejo is located on the north east of the island, about 30 minutes from the airport. It has a large sheltered bay with views to Lanzarote and the small island of Lobos. On the outskirts are the wonderful sand dunes of the natural park with some amazing beaches.
Corralejo also has a life outside of tourism, which is one of the reasons I like it, with schools, health centre and a working port with ferries to Lanzarote and the Island of Lobos.
Corralejo would be my choice for the best place to stay in Fuerteventura for a lively time. It is probably the best resort in Fuerteventura for nightlife.
There are many different types of restaurants, many with great sea views, serving Spanish, Italian, Indian, Chinese, English and even Danish cuisine. Many serve fresh fish straight from the fish market in the harbour. There are some quiet bars, some great music bars and some nightclubs.
There is the only water park on the island in Corralejo too. You can also take buggy trips, boat trips to Lobos and other things to keep kids amused.
You can read my full review and watch my video of Corralejo – Corralejo – What is it like? and my review and video of all the beaches – Corralejo Beaches – best beaches in Fuerteventura If you are looking for naturist beaches then the dunes beaches are clothing optional.
Corralejo has a great variety of accommodation from all-inclusive hotels, holiday complexes, beachfront villas with private pools and apartments.
You can read my other articles: Corralejo – What is it like? and the Beaches of Corralejo
Where to stay in Corralejo:
- Gran Hotel Atlantis Bahia Real – a beautiful 5 star hotel overlooking the sea
- Barceló Corralejo Bay – Adults only hotel
- Barceló Corralejo Sands – lovely hotel 3 minutes from a beach
- Suite Hotel Atlantis Fuerteventura Resort – all-inclusive resort with 8 swimming pools
- H10 Ocean Dreams Hotel Boutique – Adults only
- H10 Ocean Suites – Lovely complex in the centre of Corralejo
- Avanti Hotel Boutique Fuerteventura – Adults only hotel on a small beach in the centre of town
Click for a selection of package holiday deals to Corralejo
- Beachfront villas to rent – my selection of the best available
- Bahiazul Villas & Club – beautiful, if expensive, villa complex
- Villas with private pools – located throughout Corralejo
- Villas in Tamaragua – popular area 3km outside the town
- 1 bedroom apartments – all locations and prices
- 2+ bedroom apartments – all locations and prices
Caleta De Fuste
Caleta de Fuste is located just a few miles south of the airport. It is a resort that has grown up from nothing over the past 40 years into a large tourist town with hotels, apartments, marina and golf courses. It is primarily frequented by British tourists, many of which seem to think it is the best place to stay in Fuerteventura.
There are two man-made beaches looking onto a sheltered bay which are very safe for families. The beaches have sunbeds, parasols etc for hire and there are some showers and a childrens’ play area. There are no naturist beaches around Caleta. You can walk all along the sea front from the harbour all the way to the Atlantic shopping centre.
Caleta doesn’t have one main “strip” like other resorts but a number of smaller centres with shops and over 100 bars and restaurants. The only McDonald’s on the island is in Caleta. Nightlife in Caleta de Fuste mainly revolves around the bars, many of which have music but there is a nightclub open until the early hours.
To the back of Caleta there are two golf courses – Fuerteventura Golf Club (a championship course used for the 2004 Spanish Open) and also Salinas Golf.
If you want to see what Caleta is like then read my review and watch my video – What is Caleta de Fuste like?
The main sea front area is lined with hotels and their grounds, with apartments and villas stretching away from the sea. There are many beautiful villas surrounding the golf courses and plenty of villas and apartments up Chipmunk mountain (the hill behind the resort).
Where to stay in Caleta de Fuste
- Barceló Castillo Beach Resort – Very popular hotel right by the beach
- Elba Sara Beach & Golf Resort – near the beach, shopping centre and golf courses
- Elba Palace Golf & Vital Hotel – Adults only, located right on the Fuerteventura Golf Club
- Barceló Castillo Royal Level – located right by the harbour
- Hotel Ereza Mar – popular hotel near the harbour and facing the sea
- Fuerteventura Beach Club – very popular complex with families
- Castillo Playa – a good value complex in a good location
- Caleta Garden Apartments – very popular and close to shops and restaurants
- Broncemar Beach Aparthotel – lovely pool area and close to amenities
Click for a selection of hotel and complex package holidays to Caleta de Fuste
Villas and apartments
- My selection of lovely villas with pools overlooking the golf course
- Some villas in the heart of Caleta
- Villas in the lower part of Chipmunk mountain
- Villas in the upper part of Chipmunk mountain
- Some apartments in the heart of Caleta
- Apartments in the lower part of chipmunk mountain
- Apartments in the upper part of Chipmunk mountain
El Cotillo is a lovely quiet fishing village on the north-west coast that has expanded with tourism but still manages to retain is quiet village feel. In fact it is my choice for the best place to stay in Fuerteventura – but I am biased and like peace and quiet.
It is perfect for a relaxing holiday for couples of all ages with lovely beaches, some being quiet and safe for swimming (for children too) and others popular with surfers and kite surfers.
There are plenty of good restaurants and bars. Some have live music once a week.
You can find out everything you need to know about El Cotillo on my other website – ElCotillo.net
Where to stay in El Cotillo
Most people opt to rent a private apartment and sample some of the lovely restaurants in the village as well as self-catering.
There are only two –
- Cotillo Beach Hotel – this is the largest hotel offering all-inclusive if required.
- Laif Hotel – a small hotel in the centre of El Cotillo with a rooftop pool
I have a full page of apartments to rent in Fuereventura on my El Cotillo website – Selected holiday apartments to rent in El Cotillo
Villas/Houses in El Roque (just a short walk into El Cotillo) many with private pools
Costa Calma is about a 30-40 minute drive south from the airport on the south-east coast.
It is frequented quite often by German tourists but has plenty of other nationalities staying there too. The beach is beautiful and runs for miles all the way south to Morro Jable.
It is a small quiet resort. There are a few bars but they are mainly bar/restaurants and these are mainly located in the commercial centres around the town. There is not a main strip of bars and shops that you get elsewhere.
Many people opt to stay in one of the large hotels that run along the sea front. There are plenty to choose from. Most of the family hotels have plenty of activities for children. Oasis Park, Fuertevenura’s zoo, is not far away.
Where to stay in Costa Calma
- H10 Sentido Playa Esmeralda – Adults only. Lovely hotel right on the beach.
- Hotel Matas Blancas – Adults only
- Melià Fuerteventura Hotel – located on Sotavento Beach by the sand dunes
- Sol Beach House at Meliá Fuerteventura – Adults only. Attached to the Melià Hotel.
- SBH Fuerteventura Playa – all-inclusive beach front resort
- SBH Costa Calma Palace Thalasso & Spa – elegant hotel on the beach with great pools
- VIK Suite Hotel Risco Del Gato – nice hotel set in lovely gardens
- SBH Costa Calma Beach Resort Hotel – all-inclusive with a spa
Click for selected hotel package holiday deals to Costa Calma
- Luxury villas – many with sea views and most with private pools
Esquinzo / Morro Jable / Jandia Area
This is the most southerly resort area in Fuerteventura and is over an hour from the airport. The beaches that run all along this area from Esquinzo to Morro Jable are spectacular with white sand and turquoise sea. It is probably the best place to stay in fuerteventura if you like staying in large all-inclusive hotels.
Morro Jable town itself has a nice Spanish feel to it with some good shops, bars and restaurants. There is also a port with ferries to Tenerife and Gran Canaria.
The tourist part, where most of the hotels are located, has shops, bars and restaurants along the beach road.
You can catch a 4×4 bus and go to the remote Cofete beach from Morro Jable.
Oasis Park, Fuerteventura’s zoo, is not too far away.
Where to stay in Esquinzo/Morro Jable area
- XQ El Palacete Hotel – has a high guest rating and overlooks the sea and the beach
- Occidental Jandia Playa – lovely hotel over the road from the beach
- Iberostar Playa Gaviotas – All inclusive with excellent reviews, 4 outdoor pools and a spa
- MUR Faro Jandia Fuerteventura & Spa – just a short walk to the beach and overlooking Jandía lighthouse
- Iberostar Gaviotas Park – All inclusive and highly rated. Three outdoor swimmiing pools.
- Iberostar Fuerteventura Palace – Adults only all-inclusive with a very high review rating
- Hotel Calypso – overlooks the beach and just a short walk into the town centre
- Fuerteventura Princess – right on a beautiful stretch of beach at Esquinzo.
Club Jandía Princess – Nice hotel next to the Fuerteventura PrincessPackages, including flights to the Esquinzo/Morro Jable Hotels
Villas and Apartments:
I hope you find my resort guide to the best place to stay in Fuerteventura useful and you have a great visit when you come.
Check out my other accommodation guides:
The best resorts in Fuerteventura for families
Best adult only hotels in Fuerteventura for couples
Best hotels on the beach in Fuerteventura
Best beachfront villas to rent in Corralejo
Villas to rent in Caleta de Fuste
I have been holidaying in Fuerteventura for over 30 years and have been living here full time since 2013. I have a popular Youtube channel related to this website called JP in Fuerteventura